5.8.07

Can I kick myself?

When I started knitting last summer, I decided to try socks, because they were small and looked challenging enough to be interesting. It wasn't until I'd been at it for a few months and had finished a couple pairs of socks that I learned that socks are supposed to be hard. I've heard countless knitters, many who are far more accomplished than I, say that they could never knit socks because they're too hard. Seriously.

I've read all but the latest book put out by the Yarn Harlot, and from the way she writes it would seem that many knitters need to be convinced that certain things aren't really all that hard, and they should try them.

I've even posted to group blogs on the topic of pattern technique suggestions, and not feeling obligated to follow them. I didn't want them to be scared to change things. I wanted them to see that it wasn't hard.

I've lived in the world of knitting relatively oblivious of what was hard and what was not. And it's been working for me.

And yet . . . there's one project that I've been avoiding because it looks hard . . .



Duh duh duh! Sweaters!!

Especially ones that are knit in pieces and then sewn together. It's a love hate relationship - especially with the sweater in the picture. I have the pattern, and I've picked out yarn (just not the color). I would love to knit it, love to wear it. But I'd hate to fail miserably, to be beaten by a sweater. But this is ridiculous - I can do this! I just need to start, and it will all be ok.

Now to noodle over colors for weeks, until I find the perfect one.

5 comments:

Cheryl in AZ said...

Come On Que You can Do It!!! It will be a lovely sweater and very much YOU. I know you have what it takes.

You Go Girl!!

Lisa R said...

I'm exactly the same way. One of the first things I knit was a sock. After I finished it, I thought to myself, "Gee, that's it?" But for whatever reason, knitting *garments* is very, very scary.

Unknown said...

oh, I'm so scared of sweaters too!

we should take the plunge together!

inukshuk71 said...

I've started Rogue and forgged it because it was too tight for the recipient... however, it's a very easy knit. You can knit cables, you can knit Rogue. Besides, the body is knit in the round up to the arms, so you only have the first 12 to 25 stitches of each needle to worry about because they are used to knit the side cable. The rest is just knitting. Easy I tell you! Take the plunge :)

Nicole said...

You can do this! And you want to do this! Go for it - you'll make it work.